Sunday, April 08, 2007

Columnist Puts His Health In Lucy's Hands

Syndicated columnist, Leonard Pitts Jr., declared in his most recent column that if he is ever diagnosed with cancer that he will laugh himself to death. Pitts writes:

I will ensconce myself in front of the big screen with a stack of DVDs — the "Vitameatavegamin" episode of "I Love Lucy" will be at the top, but Pryor, Cosby and Newhart will also be in there, along with "Frasier," Albert Brooks, "Borat," "The Daily Show" ... anything that has ever made me giggle will be pressed into service.

You see, 20 years ago, I read a fascinating book called "Love, Medicine and Miracles" by Dr. Bernie Siegel. It argued the restorative powers of laughter, faith, love and will in fighting even the most fearsome illnesses. I decided then that if I ever found myself on the receiving end of some grim diagnosis, Dr. Lucille Ball and the rest would be integral members of my medical team.


Pitts won the won the Pulitzer Prize for commentary in 2004 and is the author of Becoming Dad: Black Men and the Journey to Fatherhood.