Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Robert Osborne on Lucille Ball

Turner Classic Movies Host, Robert Osborne, always has nice things to say about his friend and mentor, Lucille Ball:

"I was going to be the next Cary Grant," he jokes and when he hit Hollywood was taken under the wing of Lucille Ball. "She had a group of young actors she was trying to push along. But acting really wasn't for me," he said.

"One day I was over at Lucy's and she said `You come from a nice family, you may be too normal for stardom, it's a lonely place.' She told me to be myself and combine my journalism love and my show business love. It was the best advice ever given to me.

"Lucy was a close friend, so was Bette Davis; these women knew more about the game than anybody. They couldn't bear to think of retirement. There was nothing for them to retire to."



Osborne does 150 movie intros and exits each month. Last month Turner Classic Movies was introduced in Canada.

The above excerpt was taken from Introducing Turner's Movie Guide by Jim Bawden. Read the full article:

http://www.thestar.com/artsentertainment/article/166990

TCM Canadian Schedule